Here's an appetizer that will heat up any gathering. Family and friends often request that I make these jalapenos.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) whole jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 jar (5 ounces) olive-pimiento cheese spread
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil
- Cut off stems and remove seeds from peppers. Stuff with cheese
- spread. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup of flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal,
- salt, pepper and buttermilk until smooth; set aside. In another
- shallow bowl, combine remaining flour and cornmeal. Dip stuffed
- peppers into buttermilk batter, then dredge in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- peppers, two or three at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper
- towels. Yield: 2 dozen.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.