Fried Ice Cream
Refrigerated pie crust sprinkled with cinnamon sugar makes short work of this eye-catching, mouthwatering treat from our Test Kitchen. TIP: Keep a batch of these handy scoops in your freezer for impromptu entertaining all year long.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Unroll pastry onto an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pastry. Prick thoroughly
- with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly
- browned. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Place pastry in a large resealable plastic bag; coarsely crush.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl. Using a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop, form
- eight scoops of ice cream. Roll in pastry crumbs. Cover and freeze
- for 2 hours or until firm.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- ice cream balls for 8-10 seconds or until golden. Drain on paper
- towels. Immediately place in chilled bowls; drizzle with honey and
- serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.