Fried Ice Cream
This was a dessert I used to order at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I couldn't believe you could fry ice cream, but this recipe is delicious proof. Top it with honey, caramel ice cream topping or whipped cream.—Kay Higgins, Madawaska, Maine
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing Cook: 5 min.
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop, place six scoops of ice cream on a
- baking sheet. Freeze.
- Place heavy cream in a shallow bowl. Combine cracker crumbs and
- cinnamon in another shallow bowl. Dip ice cream balls in cream, then
- roll in crumb mixture. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Refrigerate remaining cream and set aside remaining crumb mixture.
- Roll ice cream balls again in cream, then coat again with crumbs.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- ice cream balls for 10-15 seconds or until lightly browned. Drain on
- paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 324 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.