Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 to 6 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine sugar and flour; place on a shallow plate. Dip both sides of each tomato slice into the mixture. Combine the egg and milk. Dip each tomato slice; then dip into the bread crumbs. In a skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high. Fry tomatoes until brown on both sides but firm enough to hold their shape. Yield: about 6 servings.
Reviews for Fried Green Tomatoes(3)
Sort By :
Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite appetizers! I like this recipe and it's simple to follow
I agree with Boom Boom I made this recipe last night and they were good but I prefer salty over sweet when it comes to my veggies:) So next time i'll stick to the original recipe.
This looks good, but my is easier and better for you. I clean and slice tomatoes before putting in sealable bag with seasoned(usually just salt and pepper) flour then place (fast but carefully) in preheated nonstick pan. Since you shouldn't spray nonstick pans, I spray the tops lightly with olive oil before turning. Slightly ripe tomatoes usually need no sugar, but my dad always liked to sweeten the "real thing". I hope you will try this, also my mom would can sliced green tomatoes so we could have them any old time.