Fried Green Tomatoes
"EACH TIME I fix these tomatoes, it takes me back to the Ohio farm where I grew up. I savor the taste of this delicately sauteed vegetable, with its crisp crust, moistened slightly with the pan gravy. Mom could do these to perfection! Maybe that's why this dish is my favorite part of this memorable meal."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 to 6 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine sugar and flour; place on a shallow plate. Dip both sides of
- each tomato slice into the mixture. Combine the egg and milk. Dip
- each tomato slice; then dip into the bread crumbs. In a skillet,
- heat butter and oil over medium-high. Fry tomatoes until brown on
- both sides but firm enough to hold their shape. Yield: about 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 266 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.