Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika
- 3 medium green tomatoes, sliced
- 12 bacon strips
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Leaf lettuce, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard
- 1. In a shallow dish, combine flour and seasonings; dip tomatoes in the mixture and set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- 2. Remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook tomatoes for 2 minutes on each side; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Place six slices of toast on a baking sheet. Layer with three tomato slices, two bacon strips and a cheese slice. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce if desired.
- 4. Spread mayonnaise and mustard on remaining toast if desired; place over lettuce. Yield: 6 sandwiches.
1 each: 562 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1076mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches
"Love it; was perfect in every way.I have used various coatings and it came out fine though my favorite is cornmeal mixed evenly with flour. Happy grazing!!"
"Haven't made it yet, but I know my tastebuds!"
"Delicious! I cut each sandwich into fourths and served them as a heavy appetizer."