Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches Recipe
This is one of my favorite quick-fix suppers. I'm sure a lot of people have never tried fried green tomatoes, but they're yummy.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika
- 3 medium green tomatoes, sliced
- 12 bacon strips
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Leaf lettuce, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard
- 1. In a shallow dish, combine flour and seasonings; dip tomatoes in the mixture and set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- 2. Remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook tomatoes for 2 minutes on each side; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Place six slices of toast on a baking sheet. Layer with three tomato slices, two bacon strips and a cheese slice. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce if desired.
- 4. Spread mayonnaise and mustard on remaining toast if desired; place over lettuce. Yield: 6 sandwiches.
1 serving (1 each) equals 562 calories, 36 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1,076 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC