This is one of my favorite quick-fix suppers. I'm sure a lot of people have never tried fried green tomatoes, but they're yummy.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika
- 3 medium green tomatoes, sliced
- 12 bacon strips
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Leaf lettuce, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard
- In a shallow dish, combine flour and seasonings; dip tomatoes in the mixture and set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook tomatoes for 2 minutes on each side; drain on paper towels.
- Place six slices of toast on a baking sheet. Layer with three tomato slices, two bacon strips and a cheese slice. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce if desired.
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on remaining toast if desired; place over lettuce. Yield: 6 sandwiches.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches in Country Extra September 2001, p49
Reviews for Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review