Fried Green Tomato Lasagna Recipe
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 large green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Dip green tomato slices in flour; brown in skillet on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Spoon 3/4 cup tomato mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with a third of the green tomatoes; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tomato mixture and mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 255 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 393 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.