Fried Cornmeal Mush
I've been eating cornmeal mush ever since I was a little girl. Now it's become popular with my family. I especially love this version because the batter is made ahead of time and fried the next morning.
14-16 ServingsPrep: 1 hour + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- Maple syrup
- Boil 3 cups water. Combine remaining water with cornmeal and salt;
- add to boiling water. Stir until mixture returns to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Chill for 8 hours or
- overnight. Cut into 1/2-in. thick slices.
- In a large skillet, fry slices in oil until browned on each side.
- Serve with syrup. Yield: 14-16 servings.