Fried Clams Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 fresh cherrystone clams, shucked
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tartar sauce or seafood cocktail sauce, optional
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine 3/4 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour with the water, forming a batter. In another bowl, combine the remaining cornmeal and flour.
- 2. Dip clams in batter; shake off excess. Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry clams, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- 4. Serve immediately with sauce if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 clam (calculated without sauce) equals 127 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer