The clam's crunchy, golden coating will truly melt in your mouth. One bite and you'll understand why these are considered a delicacy!
Tim Connolly, Freeport, Maine
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 fresh cherrystone clams, shucked
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tartar sauce or seafood cocktail sauce, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine 3/4 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour with
- the water, forming a batter. In another bowl, combine the remaining
- cornmeal and flour.
- Dip clams in batter; shake off excess. Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- clams, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain
- on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- Serve immediately with sauce if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 clam (calculated without sauce) equals 127 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a