Fried Chicken with Pan Gravy Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 in. of oil; fry chicken until browned on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove chicken to paper towels and keep warm.
- 3. Pour off excess fat from the skillet, reserving the browned bits and 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups gravy).
1 serving equals 468 calories, 32 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 35 g protein.
Reviews for Fried Chicken with Pan Gravy
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.