Our home economists' nuts-and-bolts appetizers feature mushroom caps and zucchini sticks. Assemble them earlier in the day and chill until ready to deep fry.
16 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 16 medium fresh mushrooms
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Oil for frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce, optional
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Cut a thin layer from the top of
- mushroom caps; cut mushroom edges, forming a hexagon shape. Cut
- zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then into 2-in. pieces. Trim one
- end to fit into mushroom caps.
- Insert a toothpick through the top of the mushroom into the zucchini,
- leaving about 1 in. of toothpick to use as a handle for dipping.
- In a small shallow bowl, beat the eggs and water. In another bowl,
- combine the flour, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic powder, cayenne