This battered asparagus is a favorite at events. It's fun to eat with a side of Ranch dressing for dipping. —Lori Kimble, Montgomery, Alabama
30 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 egg whites
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine beer
- and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip
- asparagus into batter.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry
- asparagus in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden
- brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with ranch dressing.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.