- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 egg whites
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine beer and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip asparagus into batter.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry asparagus in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with ranch dressing. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Fried Asparagus in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p30
Reviews for Fried Asparagus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2013
first time and will keep trying, over and over till I can master it. What I did was good but had to must batter, but still good
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2010
These are awesome! I'm not big on frying but I will do it for this recipe.