- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 egg whites
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine beer and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip asparagus into batter.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry asparagus in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with ranch dressing. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Fried Asparagus in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p30
Reviews for Fried Asparagus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2013
"first time and will keep trying, over and over till I can master it. What I did was good but had to must batter, but still good"
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2010
"These are awesome! I'm not big on frying but I will do it for this recipe."