Fresh Veggie Pockets
One summer I worked at a health food store that sold sandwiches. We were close to a college campus, so I made lots of these fresh filled pitas for the students. Crunchy with crisp vegetables and nutty sunflower kernels, they're a fast-to-fix lunch when you're on the go.
-Linda Reeves, Cloverdale, Indiana
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or salt-free seasoning blend
- 4 wheat pita breads, halved
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sunflower kernels and
- seasoned salt; spread about 2 tablespoons on the inside of each pita
- half. Layer with the tomato, cucumber, mushrooms and avocado. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free cream cheese, unsalted sunflower kernels and salt-free seasoning blend) equals 378 calories, 15 g fat (0 saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.