One summer I worked at a health food store that sold sandwiches. We were close to a college campus, so I made lots of these fresh filled pitas for the students. Crunchy with crisp vegetables and nutty sunflower kernels, they're a fast-to-fix lunch when you're on the go. -Linda Reeves, Cloverdale, Indiana
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or salt-free seasoning blend
- 4 wheat pita breads, halved
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sunflower kernels and seasoned salt; spread about 2 tablespoons on the inside of each pita half. Layer with the tomato, cucumber, mushrooms and avocado. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Veggie Pockets in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p27
Reviews for Fresh Veggie Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review