Fresh Vegetable Salad
It was such a treat to have a crisp, garden-fresh salad back when Mom didn't have much room in our little icebox to keep produce chilled. This salad is as colorful and festive as it is refreshing.
-Ruth Seitz, Columbus Junction, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Toss vegetables in a large salad bowl. In a small bowl, combine
- mayonnaise, sugar and Parmesan cheese; pour over vegetables and toss
- to coat. Cover and chill. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 262 calories, 24 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.