Fresh Tomato Tart Recipe
This tart is best with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes. It's so pretty to the eye and tastes fabulous! —Julie Ferron
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Transfer pastry to tart pan; trim pastry even with edge. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Remove sides of tart pan. Place crust on a serving plate. Arrange mozzarella over crust with slices overlapping. Spread with pesto. Arrange tomato slices in an overlapping pattern on top. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 361 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC