This tart is best with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes. It's so pretty to the eye and tastes fabulous! —Julie Ferron
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 pound Galbani® Mozzarella Cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Transfer pastry to tart pan; trim pastry even with edge. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove sides of tart pan. Place crust on a serving plate. Arrange mozzarella over crust with slices overlapping. Spread with pesto. Arrange tomato slices in an overlapping pattern on top. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Tomato Tart in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p201
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review