Fresh Tomato Soup
When tomatoes are in season, my family knows they can expect to see this soup on the dinner table. It tastes better than any store-bought soup.Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour
- to form a smooth paste. Gradually add water, stirring constantly
- until thickened. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, sugar, thyme, bay
- leaf and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tomatoes are
- tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 188 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 1,022 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.