Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually add water, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, sugar, thyme, bay leaf and pepper; bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 188 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1022mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Soup
"I have had this recipe in my box for years. I made a note to use milk instead of water to make it more of a tomato bisque."
"I used basil instead of time and cut the butter in half and added a splash of olive oil. It was very good."
"I like my tomato soup creamy, so after taking out the bay leaf I poured it in the blender and it came out very creamy."