Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe
When tomatoes are in season, my family knows they can expect to see this soup on the dinner table. It tastes better than any store-bought soup.Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually add water, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, sugar, thyme, bay leaf and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Tomato Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p41
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Soup(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2010
I used basil instead of time and cut the butter in half and added a splash of olive oil. It was very good.
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2009
I like my tomato soup creamy, so after taking out the bay leaf I poured it in the blender and it came out very creamy.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >