- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually add water, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, sugar, thyme, bay leaf and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Soup
Sort By :
I have had this recipe in my box for years. I made a note to use milk instead of water to make it more of a tomato bisque.
I used basil instead of time and cut the butter in half and added a splash of olive oil. It was very good.
I like my tomato soup creamy, so after taking out the bay leaf I poured it in the blender and it came out very creamy.