Fresh Tomato Relish Recipe
Meet the Cook: My two grown sons (I have two granddaughters) actually eat this as a salad, but that's a bit too hot for me! The recipe's from my late husband's mother, and I haven't varied it over the years. I usually make a batch as soon as the first tomatoes of the season are ready. It will keep for months in the freezer. I like to crochet and sew, and I'm active in my church. Three times every month, I cook for Wednesday suppers at church - 40 to 50 people each time. -Lela Baskins, Windsor, Missouri
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 cups chopped tomatoes (about 11 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; add vinegar mixture and mix well. Spoon into storage containers, allowing 1/2-in. headspace. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 12 months. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: about 6 pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 9 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC