Fresh Tomato Pasta Toss Recipe
- 3 pounds ripe fresh tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1. To remove peels from tomatoes, fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately plunge in ice water. Peel skins with a sharp paring knife and discard. Chop pulp; set aside.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook garlic in oil over medium heat for 1 minute or until tender. Add the parsley, basil, oregano, salt, sugar, pepper and reserved tomato pulp. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add cream; heat through.
- 3. Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Pour tomato sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (prepared with Parmesan cheese) equals 277 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Pasta Toss
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.