Fresh Tomato Cream Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, simmer tomatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute celery, onion, garlic and pepper flakes in 2 tablespoons butter until tender; add to the tomatoes.
- 3. In another saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add tomato mixture. Stir in the remaining milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: Tomatoes can be peeled if desired.
1 cup: 221 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Cream Soup
"I've been making this soup since the day I got the magazine issue that it originally came in. It's awesome. I use Better than Bouillon Paste instead of regular granules (less salt, more flavor). I also add a little extra onion. A few shakes or oregano and thyme are the only things I add. Everybody I've ever fixed this soup for absolutely loves it!"
"I added 2 cans of stewed tomatoes as I didn't think it was tomatoey enough. I didn't peel the tomatoes, I will next time."