Fresh Tomato Cream Soup Recipe
Chunks of tomato and celery float in a rich broth in this deliciously different soup. Red pepper flakes add a bit of zip.—John Brink, Harrison, South Dakota
- 8 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, simmer tomatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute celery, onion, garlic and pepper flakes in 2 tablespoons butter until tender; add to the tomatoes.
- 3. In another saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add tomato mixture. Stir in the remaining milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 221 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC