Fresh Tomato Basil Tart Recipe
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Transfer pastry to pan; trim even with edge. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, thinly slice the tomatoes; place on paper towels to drain.
- 3. Sprinkle 2 cups cheese into the crust; top with basil. Set three tomato slices aside; arrange remaining slices in a slightly overlapping pattern around edge of tart. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining cheese in center of tart; top with reserved tomato slices.
- 4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 283 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Basil Tart
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.