Fresh Tomato Basil Tart Recipe
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the flours; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Transfer pastry to pan; trim even with edge. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, thinly slice the tomatoes; place on paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle 2 cups cheese into the crust; top with basil. Set three tomato slices aside; arrange remaining slices in a slightly overlapping pattern around edge of tart. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining cheese in center of tart; top with reserved tomato slices.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Fresh Tomato Basil Tart
Sort By :
Always looking for shortcuts, I used a refrigerated pie crust, rolled out to 10 in. to fit into my quiche pan. The remainder of the recipe was unchanged. My family raved about it, and asked for more. Now, I'm in the habit of making two every time.
This was nasty! I don't normally use wheat flour, and bought some just for this. It tasted disgusting, and was an oily puddle of goo. I am so glad I tested this recipe before making it for our holiday dinner! That would have been embarassing!
This is REALLY good! I didn't have whole wheat flour so I used all white. I also added a little oregano and garlic powder and sprinkled on some Parmesean cheese with the Motz.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Pizza Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Pizza Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >