This attractive fruit pie from Judy Watson in Newmarket, Ontario is almost too pretty to eat, but no one will be able to resist the juicy whole strawberries and delightfully sweet glaze that fill the tender pie crust.
Recommended: 41 Ways to Love Jell-O (Because We Know You Do)
- 1 cup plus 3 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- With a fork, mash 1 cup strawberries; set aside. Arrange remaining berries in pastry shell.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add mashed strawberries and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into strawberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over berries in pastry. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Strawberry Pie in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p16
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fresh Strawberry Pie with Whipped Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 23, 2013
"I've made this recipe many times and always get rave reviews. It's quite easy for a quick fresh strawberry pie!"
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2008