Fresh Strawberry Dessert Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until set; cool completely on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Spread over crust; cover and chill.
- 3. For glaze, 2-3 hours before serving, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in lemon juice. Cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Meanwhile, arrange strawberries over filling. Spoon glaze over berries. Chill until serving. Garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Fresh Strawberry Dessert
"Good shortbread crust, however - the filling and glaze were much too sweet for us! I would say the filling is more like a cream cheese icing. Followed the directions exactly."
"This a is a wonderful summer dessert. I make it year round because my grandchildren love it. My 12 year old grandson even wrote a school paper on it, gave raves to Grandma Bea's scrumpdellicious strawberry dessert. His teacher was so impressed with his graphic description that she gave him an A+. A tad time consuming to make, but well worth it."
"Use the dry jello powder. It helps to thicken the glaze."