Fresh Strawberry Dessert Recipe
Each year my husband reminds me of the approaching strawberry season by putting in an early request for this dessert. One of my own original recipes, it's eye-catching, yet holds up well in travel.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until set; cool completely on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Spread over crust; cover and chill.
- 3. For glaze, 2-3 hours before serving, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in lemon juice. Cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Meanwhile, arrange strawberries over filling. Spoon glaze over berries. Chill until serving. Garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 12-15 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC