Each year my husband reminds me of the approaching strawberry season by putting in an early request for this dessert. One of my own original recipes, it's eye-catching, yet holds up well in travel.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine flour and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until set; cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Spread over crust; cover and chill.
- For glaze, 2-3 hours before serving, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in lemon juice. Cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, arrange strawberries over filling. Spoon glaze over berries. Chill until serving. Garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Strawberry Dessert in Reminisce Extra June 1993, p49
Reviews for Fresh Strawberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review