Fresh Strawberries & Amaretto Cream Pie Recipe
Strawberry pie is even more luscious when you cover it with a generous layer of amaretto cream. Keep the recipe in mind whenever you have a bounty of fresh berries. —Charis O'Connell, Mohnton, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min.+ cooling Bake15 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- AMARETTO CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional toppings: additional fresh strawberries and toasted almonds
- 1. Place almonds in a food processor; cover and pulse until almonds are finely ground. Add flour, confectioners' sugar and salt; pulse until blended. Add butter and shortening; pulse until butter and shortening are the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in. thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, mash 1 cup strawberries with the lemon juice. Add water. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in mashed berry mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in food coloring if desired. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cooled slightly, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Fold in the remaining sliced berries; transfer to crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set.
- 6. In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sour cream, confectioners' sugar and amaretto; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling. Top with additional strawberries and almonds if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC