This appealing soup harvests the fall flavors of just-picked pumpkins and tart apples...and is sure to warm you up on a crisp autumn day. Jane Shapton of Portland, Oregon tops the creamy puree with a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds
- 8 cups chopped fresh pumpkin (about 3 pounds)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 small tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS:
- 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until pumpkin and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, toss pumpkin seeds with oil and salt. Spread onto an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 250° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cool soup slightly; process in batches in a blender. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Fresh Pumpkin Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p13
Reviews for Fresh Pumpkin Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review