Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 medium pie pumpkin
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1. Cut pumpkin in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and microwave on high for 15-18 minutes or until very tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Set aside.
- 3. Drain pumpkin. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-3/4 cups (save remaining pumpkin for another use).
- 4. In large bowl, combine the mashed pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into crust.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 239 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, trace fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Fresh Pumpkin Pie
"I made an account just to review this. Five stars all the way. Were it possible, I would rate higher. This was my first time to make a pumpkin pie literally from scratch (though I cheated with buying a premade crust and using whole milk). This pie is phenomenal! I've never had one this good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to delight during Thanksgiving this year. :)"
"I made this recipe b/c of all the great ratings, but I thought it was the worst pumpkin pie I’ve ever had. Feedback from friends was mixed…a couple thought it was bad too, a couple thought it was ok, but no one raved about it. One liked that it wasn't very sweet. Baked it less time b/c the crust was burning, even with foil around it. Pie was a little looser than I would have liked, but didn’t want to keep it in any longer. Can’t believe so many people gave it 5s!"
"I was very intimidated by the idea of making a pumpkin from scratch with a fresh picked pumpkin. I was lucky enough to run across this recipe first and it didn't take me very long at all! My husband hates pumpkin pie and he devoured my pie from this recipe! So easy and DELICIOUS! I will be making this pie recipe every year from now on for Thanksgiving!"
"It was so easy!!! I cut my pumpkin in half and baked in oven, but the recipe was the best pumpkin pie recipe that I have tried, and I have tried plenty!!!"
"This pie came out perfect! I baked my pumpkin instead of microwaving it. So easy!"
"This is a great from scratch, fresh pumpkin recipe. It doesn't turn out orange, but at least you know there's no artificial colors in it."
"I was nervous when I read I'd be Microwaving the pumpkin, but this was a favorite last year and has been specially requested for this year! It doesn't hurt either that it was very easy to make."
"Super easy and delicious! I'm so glad that I tried this with the fresh pumpkin. It only takes a little bit longer than with canned pumpkin and is so much more tasty."
"Finally a great pie made with fresh pumpkin. I have been cooking down pumpkins for years and this is the best pie recipe I've tried. I did use a little extra pumpkin as we freeze it in two cup portions. Plus I used 1% milk. As a result, it took a little longer to cook than than the 45 minutes suggested."
"Bought my first pie pumpkin because I wanted to "try" making a pie with it. This recipe was sooooooooo easy and good! My family loved it! I will make it again!"
"This was the first time that I cooked a pumpkin myself and made this delicious pie from it! My husband raved about it; absolutely delicious!"