- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (about 4 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the egg mixture just until moistened. Toss pears with lemon juice. Stir pears and walnuts into batter (batter will be thick).
- Spoon into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forFresh Pear Bread
"This recipe turns out loaves of moist and delicious bread! Thank you!"
"I've used this recipe several years. You can also bake it in four mini-loaf pans for 30-40 minutes."
"Excellent! Rave reviews from family, as good or better than their favorite banana bread. Freezes and keeps well. Nice to have on hand to give to a neighbor or friend."
"Substituted unsweetened applesauce for the vegetable oil to reduce the fat calories. Recipe creates a moist, flavorful, attractive nibble. Thank you."
"Always a winner as written!. My paper copy from 1999 magazine is tattered and torn. In an dire emergency canned pears worked too."
"Excellent bread, moist and sweet. Don't cut it until it is completely cool or you'll have to eat it with a fork."
"We have 2 pear trees that produce an abundance of fruit. Most of the pears get canned, but I like to set aside pears for pies and breads and cakes. My husband declared this moist and tasty. He ate one loaf and I froze the other loaf."
"I found this recipe when I had an abundance of pears from my parents tree. I just wish I had come across years ago. I made six small loaves with this recipe. Everyone loves it."
"This was a big hit baked in small holiday loaves. Great recipe, thanks!"
"I seen this recipe and since it's pear season, decided to try it. "Amazing" my family LOVED it. I made recipe exactly, dough is little thick and instead of 2 reg. loaf pans made 6 mini 5x3 loaves. My 11 yr. old grandaughter took it to school to share with her friends, I had my gal pals up for coffee and they raved. I will definately be baking this many times. just deliousous and the bread is moist and yummy and can really taste the pear."