Fresh Mozzarella Sandwiches Recipe
As girls, my sisters and I always helped our mother make these hearty melted cheese sandwiches. Served with a robust tomato sauce for dipping, they made a quick, nutritious lunch or dinner. Nowadays, I prepare them for my husband and our two teen sons here on Long Island.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon grape jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 slices sourdough bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, jelly, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Meanwhile, for sandwiches, arrange cheese on four slices of bread to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Dip sandwiches in egg mixture.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add two sandwiches; toast over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches and butter. Serve with tomato sauce for dipping. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Mozzarella Sandwiches in Country Woman July/August 2005, p33
Reviews for Fresh Mozzarella Sandwiches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Sandwich Recipes >