Fresh Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 15 medium tomatoes (about 6 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 cups cooked penne or bow tie pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened and reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1 cup sauce with 1 cup pasta) equals 400 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2-1/2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Reviews for Fresh Marinara Sauce
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.