- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 15 medium tomatoes (about 6 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 cups cooked penne or bow tie pasta
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened and reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 7 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Fresh Marinara Sauce
"We added ground beef finely reprocessed in kitchen Aide after browning. Excellant"
"This was good. The flavor was even better the next day! I love all the fresh ingredients. I actually threw everything in the food processor then straight into the pan and just cooked everything together due to lack of time and it still turned out good."
"Delicious! I added about a cup of pureed sweet potato for extra vitamins. My whole family likes it!"
"Very good but carrot flavor was a little too strong. Next time I would add only 1-2 carrots."
"Added green and red pepper, then blended. Super super yummy. Worth the effort."