Fresh Lemonade Syrup
"This is a refreshing summer drink to enjoy on those lazy dog days of summer," reports Kathy Kittell from her home in Lenexa, Kansas. With the simple syrup in the fridge, it's a breeze to stir up this thirst-quenching beverage by the glass or pitcher.
16-20 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups lemon juice (about 16 lemons)
- 2 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In a 1-1/2-qt. heat-proof container, dissolve sugar in boiling water.
- Cool. Add lemon juice and peel; mix well. Cover and store in the
- refrigerator for up to 1 week. Yield: 5-1/2 cups syrup (number of
- batches varies depending on concentration of lemonade).
- To prepare lemonade: For 1 serving, combine 1/4 to 1/3 cup syrup and
- 3/4 cup cold water in a glass; stir well. For 8 servings, combine
- 2-2/3 cups syrup and 5 cups cold water in a 2-qt. pitcher; stir
- well. Yield: 1 serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/3 cup) equals 126 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.