- Pour batter into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing
- to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, corn syrup and salt in a
- large heavy saucepan over low heat or double boiler over simmering
- water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand bowl; gradually add the
- grapefruit juice, peel and vanilla. Beat on high until frosting
- forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Spread between layers and frost
- entire cake.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 346 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.