Fresh Grapefruit Cake Recipe
This dessert's particularly good for a backyard barbecue. My husband enjoys it, and our 2-year-old son thinks we're having a picnic, whenever I serve it—even if we're not! In fact, it's the only way I can get him to eat grapefruit.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in peel and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with grapefruit juice. Beat just until combined. Stir in milk.
- 2. Pour batter into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, corn syrup and salt in a large heavy saucepan over low heat or double boiler over simmering water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- 4. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand bowl; gradually add the grapefruit juice, peel and vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Spread between layers and frost entire cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 346 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC