Fresh Ginger Carrot Salad
"I created this salad as an alternative to the mayonnaise, raisin and carrot salad my mom used to make. I had some leftover ginger and really liked the fresh taste," relates Lauri Cherian of Scott Depot, West Virginia. "I have a sweet tooth, and this salad quenches it!"
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- Drain crushed pineapple, reserving 3 tablespoons juice. In a bowl,
- combine the pineapple, carrots, raisins, coconut and walnuts.
- Combine the yogurt, ginger and reserved pineapple juice. Pour
- dressing over carrot mixture; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate for
- at least 1 hour. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 286 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat-free milk.