Fresh Garden Vegetable Salad
When I got married, I wrote down all of my mother's favorite recipes, including this one. The refreshing salad is good in any season, but it's especially tasty made with homegrown vegetables. —Ramona Sailor of Buhl, Idaho
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper and onion. In a
- small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard and
- salt; bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over vegetables. Let stand until mixture comes to room
- temperature. Stir in the cucumber. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours
- or until chilled. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 84 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.