Round out a meal with this fruit dessert, a colorful medley of apples, strawberries, peaches and pears that simmers in a simple lemon-and-honey sauce. Top off servings with low-fat vanilla yogurt, granola or both. It's a wonderful dessert that everyone will enjoy...and it features those good-for-you fruits that will help keep your and your family strong and healthy.—Kate Selner, St. Paul, Minnesota
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups sliced peeled apples
- 2 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 1 cup sliced peeled pears
- 1/3 cup apricot spreadable fruit
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 7 tablespoons vanilla yogurt
- Cut two 1-in.-long strips from lemon peel. Squeeze juice from lemon. In a large saucepan, combine the water, honey, lemon juice and lemon peel strips. Add the apples, peaches and pears. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until fruit is softened.
- Remove from the heat; discard lemon peel. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fruit to a large bowl; discard poaching liquid. Stir in spreadable fruit, strawberries and grapes. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Top each serving with yogurt. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Fruit Compote in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p7
Reviews for Fresh Fruit Compote
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review