- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine flour and 3/4 cup broth; form a smooth paste; gradually stir into tomato mixture with remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream; serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup
Sort By :
This soup was nice and creamy. I liked that the tomatoes weren't blended but still chunky. It was very simple to make, the hardest part was peeling the tomatoes. I paired this with the Italian grilled cheese sandwich.
Best tomato soup we've had. I pureed the soup with immersion blender and it was wonderful!
I made this according to the directions except I added garlic with the onion when I sauted in the butter. It was excellent! I froze it in containers (with the cream added) and it was as good as when I made it fresh.
This soup is great!! I have made it per the recipe (though I use half and half instead of heavy cream) several times, but just bought a food mill yesterday - so skipped the up front peeling and seeding the tomatoes - just coarsley chopped them - cooked - then put through the mill - quick and easy!! When I am planning to freeze batches of this, I just prep through the tomato cooking phase, then bag and freeze - to save on freezer space. Then, in the middle of winter when I want a wonderful soup, I thaw it, and finish the prep where I left off. Since the time consuming part is already done, this makes for a quick meal and is delicious. So much better than canned or boxed soups!
I substituted fresh herbs for the dried and it was delicous!