This is one of the best recipes I have because it can be put together in no time. When tomato season is here, you'll find me making this pretty and pleasing soup often.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine flour and 3/4 cup broth; form a smooth paste; gradually stir into tomato mixture with remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream; serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Tomato Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p29
Reviews for Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review