Fresh Corn Chowder Recipe
- 4 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1. Cut corn off the cob; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, water, bouillon, thyme, pepper and corn. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.