Fresh Corn Chowder
This creamy corn and potato dish is perfect when you yearn for a full-bodied soup with lots of down-home flavor. "I discovered the recipe in a fresh fruit and vegetable cook-book," notes Margaret Olien of New Richmond, Wisconsin. "It really hits the spot on a chilly day."
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- Cut corn off the cob; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and
- celery in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, water, bouillon,
- thyme, pepper and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into
- soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,