Fresh Corn Cakes
Corn's always been the basis of my favorite recipesin fact, these corn cakes were one of the first things I made for my husband.
For dinner, they're nice with fresh fruit salad and ham. They're also great with breakfast sausage and orange juice.
Tom works for the highway department on Mount Hood, and we live at its base. Our children are 19, 16 and 13.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow or blue cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked whole kernel corn
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Oil for frying
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and
- salt. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; blend in milk and butter. Add
- to dry ingredients; stir until just mixed. (Batter may be slightly
- Stir in the corn, green onions, red pepper and green chilies; set
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold
- into batter.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a lightly greased