Fresh Corn and Tomato Soup Recipe
Clyda Conrad YUMA, ARIZONA This light and fresh soup is an excellent choice. Sieving the tomatoes, celery, onion and green pepper offers silky smoothness, and it lets the corn stands out nicely.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Press through a sieve or food mill; return to the pan. Add the sugar, salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in corn and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until corn is tender. Garnish with parsley and green onion. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 571 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC