Coconut is one of my favorite flavors. I love to include it in a lot of my baking. This pound cake will be sure to please.—Bonnie Zeigler, Rincon, Georgia
Recommended: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup shredded fresh coconut
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the extracts. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in the coconut. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine icing ingredients in large bowl. Beat on high speed until fluffy. Frost top and sides of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Coconut Pound Cake in Country April/May 1990, p53
Reviews for Fresh Coconut Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2012
"This cake tasted very good. I did not use fresh coconut, I used store bought coconut and it was still excellent tasting."