- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg and extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide pastry in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Fresh Cherry Pie
Sort By :
"I did not have cherry juice on hand and just used water. Tasted great."
"I make cherry pie using only 1 c. sugar and 3Ttapioca instead of corn starch. Anytime we have a new neighbor move in I bake a cherry pie for them. It's a good way to get acqainted."
"Delish! I also cooked the cherries a few minutes on the stove as they would have been too juicy otherwise. I will for sure make this again."
"My husband just leaned over and said earnestly, "That was very, very good." He appreciates that it wasn't super sweet, like canned cherry pie filling, for instance. I appreciate that the pie isn't runny and held together nicely, just a couple hours out of the oven. I made the recipe as indicated, except for accidentally adding the spices and extract before cooking. I did add my cherries to the boiling mixture and cooked for a minute or two, as some of the previous reviewers mentioned, but I doubt that made a significant difference in the outcome. This was my first cherry pie and I will definitely make it again!"