Fresh Broccoli/Mandarin Salad Recipe
- CUSTARD DRESSING:
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, 1-inch cuts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rings
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Combine vinegar and water. Stir into sugar mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg and yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in mayonnaise and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the broccoli, mushrooms, onion, oranges, bacon, almonds and raisins. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 cup: 227 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Fresh Broccoli/Mandarin Salad
"This salad was DELICIOUS!! The different combination of ingredients was outstanding...the yummy custard dressing really made it. I made the recipe as written & wouldn't change a thing. Thanks, Connie."
"Doubled the recipe for my church group. Several wanted the recipe. I will definately make this again. The ingredients work really well together. I will leave out the mushrooms as I don't find they add anything."
"I used about half of the dressing when I tossed it together. Too sweet for my husband but not for me. Served it with grilled talipia."
"I've made similar broccoli salads but none with the yummy custard dressing and mandarin slices. Excellent recipe and this will be another of my favorites from Taste of Home. p.s. I didn't have a red onion but used a Georgia Vildalia onion instead."
"Ground mustard is a spice, powder form."
"Quick question? When it calls for 1 tsp. of ground mustard, is that mustard powder or actual mustard from a jar?"
"I made this recipe as written and loved it! I know I'll be making this one again."
"I've made this salad many times in the past but have forgotten about it. It was always a hit a parties. Thanks for refreshing my memory about it."
"Just a little information. I learned the other day that non-cooked mushrooms have no nutritional value. They're only worth something once they have been cooked."
"I was never a big fan of broccoli until this recipe."
"I have been making this salad for years. It is always a hit. At our Red Hat luncheons, I am always "told" to make my broccoli salad"