Fresh Broccoli/Mandarin Salad Recipe
I write a food column for our local newspaper, and I consider myself a pretty good judge of recipes. But I'll admit I was surprised by this one—I didn't think the usual ingredients would go together as well as they do. I enjoy all kinds of cooking, especially recipes with pork or pasta. —Connie Blommers, Pella, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:10-12 servings
- CUSTARD DRESSING:
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, 1-inch cuts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rings
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Combine vinegar and water. Stir into sugar mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg and yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in mayonnaise and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the broccoli, mushrooms, onion, oranges, bacon, almonds and raisins. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 227 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 145 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC