As a sweet finale to Father's meal, surprise him with this dessert-it'll remind him of the pies his mother used to make. "He doesn't have to know how simple it is!" says Nellie VanSickle of Silver Bay, New York.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Blueberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Ice cream or whipped cream
- Shredded lemon peel, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup blueberries, water and butter; simmer for 4 minutes. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and remaining blueberries.
- Pour into pie shell. Chill for 2-3 hours. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Garnish with lemon peel if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Blueberry Pie in Country Woman May/June 1995, p13
Reviews forFresh Blueberry Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2011
"this is a great way to use fresh blueberries. I served with whipped topping and we loved it. very easy to make with bought crust"