Fresh Blackberry Pie
I grew up on a farm, and we always picked blackberries in early summer and used them to make pies
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh blackberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, tapioca and salt. Add 1 cup
- blackberries; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook and stir
- over medium heat until berries burst and mixture comes to a gentle
- boil. Remove from the heat; gently stir in remaining berries.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge
- of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to
- fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut
- slits in top.
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and
- filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 426 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a